Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Snickerdoodles



Ask and you shall receive!

Funnily enough, when I got a request for snickerdoodles I had just made them two days before. I have tried a couple of recipes for snickerdoodles, and this one is my favorite so far. The cookies turn out light, moist, and tasty, which is just the way I like them.

Word of warning: Tread carefully or you will pound half a dozen no problem. I'm not saying this happened to me or anything....

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup sugar for rolling
1 tsp. each of cinnamon and nutmeg

Whisk the flour, cream of tartar, soda, and salt together. With a had blender or a standing mixer, cream the butter and sugar for about 4 to 5 minutes until the mixture is super light and fluffy (this is important). Add 1 egg and mix, then add the second egg and mix until just incorporated. Add the flour mixture in 4 different additions, mixing after each addition.

Chill the dough for one hour. This is important and don't skip it.

Mix the cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1/4 cup of sugar in a small bowl while you are waiting. After the dough has chilled, form it into 1-inch balls and roll it all around in the cinnamon/nutmeg/sugar mix. Get as much of it on the dough as you can because the cinnamon mix is the best part!

Place a couple of inches apart on a baking sheet and bake for 8 to 9 minutes.

Note: I found some Vietnamese cinnamon in a specialty spice shop and I used that. It isn't necessary but it makes for a really delightful cookie. If you live in Boston, you can find it at Christina's spice shop in Inman square.




No comments:

Post a Comment