Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Chocolate "Devil" Cake

So I rode a mechanical bull last night. Not a big deal. I'm pretty much a rodeo star. To commemorate the occasion I decided to post the recipe for Texas Sheet Cake, or as my mom calls it the "devil cake" because it's the devil and she literally can't stop eating it. It's also the devil cake because of the amount of sugar and butter in it, but I hear the calories don't count on Wednesdays and on the weekend.

Ingredients:

Cake:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
5-6 Tbs. powdered cocoa (depending on how chocolatey you want it)
2 sticks butter
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla

Frosting: 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
1 3/4 stick butter
5-6 Tbs cocoa
6 Tbs. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pound (less 1/2 cup) of sugar.

Cake:
Preheat the oven to 350 then combine flour, sugar, and salt.

Melt the butter at medium high heat in a saucepan on the stove. Add the cocoa and stir it together. Add the boiling water and boil for about 30 seconds. Pour this chocolate mixture over the flour mixture and slightly stir to cool.

In another bowl, pour in the buttermilk, eggs, baking, soda, and vanilla. Mix it all together for a minute with a whisk then pour into the flour/chocolate mixture and stir to combine. Pour the batter into a sheet cake (jelly roll) pan and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

Frosting: Chop the pecans finely. Melt the butter in a saucepan on the stove over medium-high heat. Add the cocoa (just like in the cake making step), stir, and turn off the heat. Add the rest of the frosting ingredients and stir it all together. Lastly, stir in the pecans and pour over the warm cooked cake.

Let it cool for just a few minutes, then dig in. This cake is best eaten warm, and just try to stop eating it, I dare you.

Many thanks to the Pioneer Woman for the recipe.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Rodeo Rock-Star Queen,

    Yesterday (I swear this is true), I was in the grocery store, and I thought to myself, "I need to track down a recipe for Texas Sheet Cake." I've tried unsuccessfully in the past. I LOVE Texas Sheet Cake. Yummm. You're my hero - I'm going to make it tonight! Yay!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to say that I love you and your bull riding abilities.

    ReplyDelete